Thursday, June 22, 2017

Divorce - A Traumatic Event - Learn to Survive

I only share this because I am a survivor of divorce.    It is so different now.  Days seem like weeks and weeks like months. When you see your kids you feel like strangers.   Everything changes.   It hurts and I hope that today this message will help someone out there who is suffering....

It’s pretty natural to expect hurt when a spouse ask you to leave, but I was in no way prepared for the level of hurt or the level of pain I felt.

The pain of divorce is much deeper and more soul wrenching than most people can imagine, unless they have been through it themselves.  Each divorce is different, never is one divorce exactly like another.  One couple may last a year while others may be getting divorced instead of celebrating their Silver 25th Wedding anniversary, which is my story.  I have kids, others don't.   So each divorce is not the same, but we each experience the same feelings and emotions, just more of one than another. Divorce can mean the end of your hopes and dreams, the end of your life as you have known it, a loss of control, and feelings of rejection, loneliness, abandonment and blame. There is anger, depression, helplessness, bitterness, resentment, anxiety, pain, feelings of worthlessness, and guilt. The list goes on and on.   It feels like death, yet your family is right down the road living life as if you never existed.  

You will not be able to “hurry up and get over it.” That is not possible. I don't care what anyone else says, unless you are not human, you have feelings.  To start the healing process we must make a commitment to take a small step forward every day. I know if your are experiencing divorce or any other struggle in life you feel like a million piece puzzle scattered on the floor, some pieces are lost forever and your puzzle will never be the same, but God will put the pieces back together if you have faith!   The pieces that I don’t have anymore, the larger pieces that were the bond between my wife are gone forever.   God is blessing me for living his will for my life.   The blessing came in the form of therapy.   God allowed me to paint out my emotions and feelings.   He shed them from me and now they sit on a canvass.   Ready to bless someone else who is struggling.   A ministry for me, a way to live for him and share his awesome power to heal!  I am a work in progress!   I begin each day, waking up with god and knowing he has cloaked me with his armor to defeat satans attempts to ruin my day.  I know that he has filled me with the Holy Spirit all day and all night because I give myself to him for his will to be done.  

“I cry to you, O LORD; I say, ‘You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living.’ Listen to my cry, for I am in desperate need; rescue me” (Psalm 142:5-6)

Quick Prayer

Father, I pray for all who are suffering right now.  The intensity of my emotions is unbearable at times when Satan is trying to attack.   Hold me in Your strong arms. Fill me with the Holy Spirit to protect and bless me this day.   We do not know if there will be a tomorrow, only you know this, and I ask for your blessings today.    Comfort me with the comfort that only comes from you lord.  Guide me in taking one day at a time.  God Bless.  MW 

The painting below is titled 

 "Lonely Road of Faith" - oil on wood

12" x 16" - original painting by Matt Williams #61



No comments:

Post a Comment